top of page
  • Tom Boyd

Be a Thorough Housekeeper

Recently I learned of an agency having to pay unemployment insurance benefits to a RN employee who was fired for falsifying the clinical notes. They reported that fact to their state employment office but were still charged for the unemployment claim.

We had a former client who fired their contracted PT because she was having some of her visits done by her cousin who was a PT assistant and licensed in another state. The client did not bill Medicare for any of her visits.

In both of the above cases the agency properly fired the caregiver and did not bill for the services the caregiver had provided.

Why stop there? I suggest that both agencies should also:

1) Report the matter to the caregiver’s license board 2) Report the matter to OIG 3) Report the matter to Medicaid 4) Report the matter to the local authorities as criminal acts

The caregivers who were terminated will go to work for other health care providers. They likely will continue their illegal practices. Their practices may cause health problems or complications and even death for the patients they treat.

And If I was a successor employer and found myself sued for malpractice or investigated I would look back at the history of the caregiver and involve former employers to share the responsibility, the blame and the costs.

When engaged in-house cleaning you don’t sweep the dirt under the rug (so my wife tells me).

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page